Thursday, January 5, 2012

Got my groove back

Hey guys!


I'm not sure even where to start! I guess I'll begin with my breakfast..
No picture but it was a mini whole wheat bagel with pb and banana slices and a side of coffee.


pre run pic


The perfect (IMO) pre-running fuel! Seth and I have been running all week at these 2 parks that are literally right across the street from our apartment. It's been lovely!
Monday we ran 4 miles, Tuesday 3.5 miles, yesterday 2 miles, and today I ran a speedy(for me) 45 minute tempo run! Let me take a second to explain tempo runs for ya'll.


Tempo runs are workouts where you run at a steady pace that is around 70% to 80% of your max aerobic capacity. Tempo runs are just past the point where you begin to build up waste product in your legs at a rapid rate during a run, which is called the lactate-threshold velocity. - runtowin.com


So basically you're running at a pace that is faster than your comfortable speed for an extended period of time.
This is what my 45 minute tempo run looked like:
10 minute warm up pace 
25 minute moderate-hard pace
10 minute cooldown pace

All in all, I covered 5.4 miles AND there were hills which made it just a bit more intense. My average pace was 8:21 mi/hr. I'm really happy with that pace considering the hills and the fact that I am still trying to get over a cold. 
Sometimes I really prefer running with time instead of a certain mileage goal. It puts less pressure on the distance and seems to go by faster. 

I've read Kara Goucher's book Running for Women a couple times through now and I really tried to use some of her suggestions on my run. Such as...

- In order to run faster, you have to train faster. Duh, but actually implementing it into your routine is hard!
- When running up a hill, use smaller steps rather than large strides so you can conserve more energy.
- When running downhill, let gravity take over and maintain the extra momentum at the bottom of the hill until you need to adjust to your previous speed.

Anyways, it was a good run and I'm glad I got 'er done! When I cam home I stretched, showered, and ate a green monster smooothie!

strawberry greek yogurt, blueberries, milk, ice, spinach, and protein powder
Anyways, I'm off to meet the new family I'm nannying! Later gaters...

1 comment: